Sunday 25 June 2017

Sunday in the Park, and Then Soup



We've had the classic British summer this week: a few days of glorious sunshine, which everyone pretends to enjoy while also complaining about, followed by a half-arsed thunderstorm and as many days of dreary damp, which everyone pretends not to be relieved about, while complaining about.  This is as it should be.

This morning was damp but warm enough for a refreshing walk in the park, so that was what I did.  I was wondering how the herbs in the sensory garden were getting on.  Very well indeed, as it turns out.  The sage has been flowering...


...and as you can see, its leaves are healthy, abundant and enormous.  I didn't even know sage flowered.  Since the last batch I took has dried off and crumbled into usefulness, it was obviously the perfect time to nab some more.  The same for mint:


I've hung the sage to dry:


I may see if I can propagate some of the mint.  Only one sprig from previous forages has taken:


It looks lonely.






Before my walk, I'd started off a soup with the rest of the dried peas, and left it to simmer.  It occurred to me I might use a few as well to grow another few pea shoots in the space between the kitten wire and the edge of the container of my bean farm.  Thus:




The kittens have gone, but the wire remains.  I've been doing a little research on 'companion planting' - how plants can mutually support one another when grown together - beans and peas are two such plants.  So it will be interesting to see what effect this has, if any.

I nabbed a few chives from the park as well.  I forgot to take a picture of those, so you'll just have to take my word for it.  They were thick and spicy.  Along with a few of the sage leaves, these have gone straight into the soup.





Related posts

A Walk in the Park
Another Walk in Another Park
A Bit More Foraging
A Soup Made of Scraps
******


Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.