Sunday 30 July 2017

Microgreens Week Six: Grow in the Dark



If I'd been a bit more organised and "present" than I managed to be this week, I'd have started a tray or two of microgreens every other day, to get an actual rotation going. Things didn't turn out that way, so yesterday I stock up on mung, adzuki, and started some off soaking overnight. Two trays of adzuki beans and two trays of mung beans have gone on to the shelves this morning.

It's starting to look like growth of all three of these microgreens is just as good in the dark as in direct sunlight, if not better.

Here are the adzuki and mung beans I sowed last Sunday/Monday, after a week in my dingy hallway:




I also thought I'd try a bit of companion planting with microgreens, too.  The idea here is to have a kind of table top microgreen garden that I throw a handful of seeds in every so often, so they're ready for harvesting at different times.  Each time I eat a few, I'll sow a few more.  This has been on the go for about five days now, and initially looked like this...



...and today looks like this:




Featuring peas, adzuki, mung and red cabbage.  All seem to be getting along just fine, though the peas don't seem quite as enthusiastic.  They're on my table though, which is next to a window, so that could be the light factor again.  Interesting.

After having zero success back in January with growing kale - none of the plants I started made it much further than the seedling stage, I've had considerably better results with growing them as microgreens.  Here is a tray of kale seedlings grown on my kitchen windowsill, after one week:



Here, less impressively, is a tray of "dwarf" kale:



Not really sure what its problem is, but it's welcome all the same.

I'm wondering what to try next.  Sunflowers?  Any ideas?  What's the yummiest microgreen?  That is the question.

 Subscribe to RSS

Related posts

Microgreens Week Five: Mung Beans for Breakfast
Microgreens Week Four: Learning By Doing

See all posts labelled 'microgreens'
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.